To help you make the most of a property viewing, here is our house viewing checklist which features a list of questions to have under your belt – and also some things to watch out for yourself.
This way you won’t fall into the trap of getting caught up in the ‘wow’ factor and forget about the important things to ask.
As well as checking out the area before you go and making sure it’s near to all the things you need, such as good schools and access to public transport, it’s an idea to ask the estate agent and vendor themselves lots of questions, to get a real picture of the place you could soon be calling home.
Try not to let your heart rule your head, view the property more than once, at different times and take your time. Also, make sure you know about any potential problems with the house which could affect the price, or indeed the sale.
House Viewing Checklist – Questions to ask
Questions to ask, when looking at houses for sale in Leicester, should include the following:
- Why is the vendor moving on and how long have they lived there?
- How quickly do properties sell in the area? What is the property market like?
- How long has the property been up for sale and have there been offers already?
- Has the price already been reduced?
- Has the vendor found a place to move to? What are their timescales like?
- What improvements have been made to the property in recent years?
- What land comes with the property?
- If it’s leasehold, how many years are left on the lease?
- What is parking like in the area?
- What are the neighbours like?
- Where are local amenities, such as shops, cafes, parks etc?
- Are there any planned developments for the area in the years ahead?
- What would the vendor normally spend per month on utility bills, such as gas, electric, council tax?
- Does the central heating work and when was the boiler last serviced?
- Ask yourself: will the carpets need replacing and walls redecorating?
- What is the phone signal like there?
- Unusual or unpleasant smells – these could be signs of damp.
- Signs of leakages (under the kitchen sink, for example).
- Check the ceiling for cracks or signs of leaks too.
- Inspect the outside of the property, as well as the inside – look for signs of damp, cracks, loose tiles and broken guttering – if you find anything, don’t be afraid to ask about it.
- How does the garden look? Will you be able to get it under control?
- Check that lights, water pressure and windows are in good working order.
- Look in cupboards, under rugs and behind furniture for any problem cover ups.
- Remember to check the attic space and other storage space to make sure it’s adequate for your needs.
- Is the water tank in the attic? Is the loft insulated? Have a look at the condition it’s in while you’re there.
At Readings we have a whole range of exciting properties to view all over Leicestershire. If you’d like to view the properties we have for sale or get a valuation, contact us today for help and advice.